Kneeboarding is a water sport in which you sit on your knees on a kneeboard and drive through the water. It is a mix of surfing and wakeboarding since you are tied to a motorboat. As fun as it sounds, it can be tricky for beginners.
The challenging part is getting on water sports equipment such as kneeboards for the first time. Once you get hold of the balance, you will stop falling and enjoy the fun ride it is.
Choosing the right kneeboard
For smooth onboarding for beginners, you need to look into these aspects in a kneeboard –
- A handle hook – It is easier to get on kneeboards if you have a handle hook to hold on to while getting on it.
- Budget – As a beginner, go for affordable and recreational kneeboards. These have wider boards for a smooth and fun ride.
- Ski vest – To stay afloat in case you tumble over.
How to kneeboard as a beginner?
There are two ways you can use kneeboards. The process is different for both, and you can choose the one that suits you.
- Firstly, you need to get on the kneeboard properly as a beginner. Open the strap and loosen it.
- Then, grab the hook and place it in the hook at the tip of the kneeboard. Hence, you can get started without having to hold the handle.
- Now, lay on the board on your belly while holding each side of the board by resting your forearm.
- Once the boat starts gaining speed, you can quickly get up on your knees, put the strap over your legs, and tighten comfortably. Ask the driver to go slow in the beginning. Further, make sure to hold on tight.
- Then, grab onto the handle.
- Now, pull the handle out of the hook. Slowly start leaning back comfortably to provide counter pressure and get going.
You can also start from the land if you think getting up on your knees in the middle is a little scary.
- First, sit on your knees and tighten the strap over your knees. Keep it tight enough that the board does not move.
- Since you are already strapped on, you must hold the rope tight. Once there is enough tension, lean back as far as possible so the front of the board comes up.
- Do not lean forward, as the tip of the board will dig into the ground, and you will go underwater.
When you are ready, shout ‘go’ so the boat driver can start. Make sure to hold on tight, as you will feel a pull as the boat starts.
Tips and tricks as a beginner kneeboarder
- For a water start, keep your elbows on the board and use it to push your butt up and tuck your knees with the strap. You can also hold the handle with one hand and use one to tighten your knees.
- You can grab the strap with your teeth in the beginning and drop it as you start getting up. This prevents the water from pushing it back under your knees as you get up.
- If you crash (which you will as a beginner), hold on to the rope when it comes around and then wait for the kneeboard to take you up. Staying calm and being patient are key here.
If you are excited about spending a day indulging in water sports, kneeboarding can be fulfilling. Kneeboard Surf Australia runs a circuit of three competitions per year. Hence, invest in some of the best kneeboards for a fun-filled weekend with family and friends.
So Aussies, are you ready to jump into the water and enjoy the time of your life?